Saturday, January 29, 2011

Training log # 2 - Training Longer Distances on the Run

Long distance running is something that I believe I have not yet fully conquered. My farthest run was only about 32kms and this was only done once. Now in my journey to doing my first marathon on (March 20, 2011) I am seeking out to become much more comfortable running in these long distances.

I have always been a short distance guy. When I started running , I realized early on that I was very strong at 5kms and 10kms, and each time I get past the 10km mark I started to die down. Thankfully though as time has progressed I have strengthened this part of my game but now only til 21kms. Again after this mark, I feel like I am entering no man's land.

Today though I have been working on improving this as I set out to do a 27km run. These long runs are really long and sometimes I still don't know what to expect from them. I'm scared that if I bonk out I might not get home or get too lazy and just walk back. While on other times I feel like I zoom past them like a breeze. Luckily today was one of those "breezy" days.

I did my long run at one of the most steepest and hilliest routes there are here in the south of Manila. Trucks and tricycles have the hardest times climbing these hills and well I'm proud to have survived them especially during a long run.

Basically today was a good day. Cheers to that! Lets hope for the sub 1:50 Half-Marathon next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment