Monday, January 24, 2011

The First Century Bike Ride, KM Version

My team and I had a long bike ride over the weekend from Muntinlupa until Ternate. This was about a 140km ride back and forth. When I began thinking about it, the 70kms going there and back isn't really that far. Last year I already went for an 80km bike ride so it wasn't that daunting when I looked back at that experience.



Our bike ride started at 6AM. Through out our ride I popped two interior tires and pierced one exterior tire due to the rocks that were on the road. But besides that, everything went quite fine.

The hardest part of the bike ride were the last 20kms. At this point we were to climb a mountain called Mt. Palay Palay and then after descend our way down to the beach.

We reached a peak elevation of 340 Meters above sea level. Those roads will not soon be forgotten from my memories for they were treacherous. At one point we were barely going 10km/h and I climbed that mountain with the lowest gears I had.

Once we got down and finally reached our destination. We had a picturesque beach to relax in and had lunch. Funniest thing, lunch was more like a no talking zone cause everyone was just so hungry already.

After lunch we had a short swim and then we were off again to do our bike ride back home. We started at around 3pm which was not ideal at all since we had a lot of road to cover. The ride back up that mountain too was still as unforgiving as the first time we did it, it left us breathless the same way J-lo would if she gave me a kiss. lol

At about 6pm we were about 20kms to our starting point but then it was already pitch black. This night bike ride experience was one of the most dangerous experiences I have ever had. We were biking at pitch black and the only light that we get is if a car passes by about a two feet beside us, since we were in such a small road. It was honestly crazy, but at this point we were already in survival mode just to get back. Those last few kilometers, I believe we were being taken cared of by someone up above cause I honestly believe I shouldn't have survived that.

Thankfully, at the end of the day everyone was home safe. Next time though I'm planning to have a much more organized and prepared bike ride with the team. This should be something we take into consideration the next time around

No comments:

Post a Comment